Friday 13 February 2015

Rosewater pistachio cupcakes with mascarpone cream frosting

IMG_0900
Because its Valentines day and because no ones going to do anything special for me and because I felt like eating cake :)

I used to get all upset cos Ro hates everything to do with celebrating something (although he gives me some darn gift these days so i wouldnt sulk and make his life hell). These cupcakes were baked eons ago for Great British Chefs. I'm not a rosewater fan but the pistachio cake on its own is brill. Try it, cos you know, its Valentines day and all.

Makes 8 cupcakes
IMG_0892
Pistachio nuts- 50 gms
Ground almonds- 60 gms
Plain flour- 25 gms
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Butter- 100 gms, at room temperature
Caster sugar- 100 gms
Eggs- 2 small
Milk-2 tbsp
Rosewater- 1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp (optional)
9776683646_65464c1d4a_o
Preheat oven to 176C and line a cupcake pan with 8 liners
Grind together the pistachio nuts, almonds and plai flour in a grinder or food processor. Make sure you dont over do this, or else you will be left with lumps.
Transfer to a bowl and add the baking powder.
In a separate bowl beat together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one after the other, beating well after each addition.
Pour in the milk, followed by rosewater and vanilla (if using) and mix well until well combined.
Fold in the ground mix using a spatula, till there is no trace of it in the batter.
Pour into the cupcake liners till about 3/4th full and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes come out clean.
Take them out of the oven and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack while you get the frosting done.

Mascarpone cream frosting
IMG_0898
Double cream- 100 ml (cold)
Mascarpone cheese- 250 gms 
Icing suagr- 2 tbsp
Red food colouring- a small bit to get the rose colour (optional)

Whisk the double cream in a large, clean bowl using the whisk attachment of your mixer or even a hand held whisk till stiff peaks form. Be careful to not overdo the beating or else it would split.
In another bowl mix the mascarpone cheese and icing sugar slowly till well combined.
Add this to the whipped cream, followed by vanilla and food colouring and continue whisking on low speed till they all come together and are mixed well.
Transfer into a piping bag and once the cupcakes are completely cool, pipe them.
Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.

5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Nisha:)
I just had to take a moment to thank you for posting this recipe. Your cupcakes sound delightful:) I have pinned them to a board on Pinterest that I have for all things Roses:) (most of my boards are food boards though:)

Thank you so much for sharing, you have a deliciously lovely blog...Louise

Sarah said...

gorgeous cupcakes! I guess most Indian husbands are like that.. In fact Indian society advises them not to pamper their wives :( But if I had some of these to gorge on, I wouldn't feel too bad abt my husband not doing special things me :) I think I'll drown my sorrows in something good to eat :)

Hakuna Matata said...

I love you frost cupcake,, Its perfect for my tea party.. Thanks for sharing! private chef in austin

Ginza said...

Lovely colors!

Famidha Ashraf said...

I forgot what I was googling for when I landed on this blog. You have a mind-blowing blog with amazing photography. You can make any one want to cook after watching ahem... reading your blog. Good work and I will definitely try cooking something from this space.. Lovely work Nisha!